Chicken Tinga and Tostadas
This family-size main dish can be made 1-2 days ahead and is sure to satisfy your hungry bunch!
4-5 skinless chicken breasts
1-1/4 onions thinly sliced
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1-4 oz. cans of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
½ tbsp. chicken bouillon/base
Servings: 8-10 tostadas
Directions for Chicken Tinga
- Combine chicken, sliced onions, and garlic in a large rondo pot. Cover with water and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken and shred.
- In a large pot, sauté the remaining onion slices until translucent.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, peppers in adobe sauce (do not blend all peppers—begin by only processing one or two per can—otherwise, it may be too spicy. But you need all of the adobe sauce from the cans), and the chicken base. Add mixture to sautéed onions in pot.
- Stir in shredded chicken and simmer to allow flavors to blend.
Directions for Tostadas
Pour cooking oil for frying into a large heavy-bottomed pot to a depth of about 2 inches. Place over medium heat and heat to 375 degrees F. (Tortillas may also be baked or broiled until crispy.)
- Add tortillas, one at a time, and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer to a paper towel-lined pan and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- To assemble tostadas, add chicken and cheese on the tortilla. Top with desired ingredients.
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 medium avocados, diced
- 3 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- black beans salsa
- ½ cup feta or cotija cheese